Livestock Record Keeping Software: Importance & Challenges
Livestock farming is crucial in providing a rapidly growing human population with an adequate amount of food.
Because of the large scale of the business and the wide range of animals that farmers rear, effectively managing a livestock farm can be quite complicated. Physically compiling data on all the animals on a farm would be inefficient and exhausting.
So how do today’s farmers run their farms? The answer lies in forgoing traditional methods and instead incorporating software in farm management.
Livestock record keeping software system enables farmers to remotely manage their farms and tabulate data regarding all the animals through easy-to-access mobile and computer apps.
Livestock tracking software has made modern farming more efficient and helped boost farm productivity and profitability.
Integrating technology into farm management has also allowed farmers to keep up with the latest trends and maintain their competitive edge in the ever-changing agriculture industry.
What is livestock record-keeping software?
Livestock record keeping software is technology that enables farmers to monitor and manage all the animals on their farm from their birth to their sale.
Although there are specific cattle record-keeping apps, livestock management systems cater to all animals from cattle to poultry, goats, sheep, pigs, and rabbits.
Livestock management apps allow farmers to register the total number of animals on their farm, calculate the costs of farm management, and survey farm productivity. The apps can also provide in-depth analysis that helps farmers recognize management areas that need rectification.
Moreover, livestock record-keeping software systems also include features like pasture and location management. This allows farmers to track the movement of animals on their land.
Programs like feed management help farmers come up with a feeding plan that takes all input costs into account. Features like detailed livestock records, track due dates, and event trackers incorporate the use to AI to store animal information. Records of animal age, gender, breed, weight, birth, and death are all stored on these apps in a centralized location that can be accessed through mobile devices.
Overall, animal and livestock record-keeping software is essential in improving farm productivity and profitability and is a great source of help to the modern farmer.
What is the best livestock record-keeping software in 2022?
In order to maximize the benefits of livestock record-keeping software, you need to find apps that cater to needs specific to your farms.
Here we have compiled a list of some of the best livestock record-keeping software in 2022 along with its pros and cons so that your journey to finding an app that is personalized to your needs is made easier.
AgriERP is a livestock record-keeping app that caters to all livestock operations. It enhances farm operations by offering multiple features that allow farmers to track livestock, plan for each harvest, and manage their finances.
AgriERP has one of the most versatile research and development programs in the Agri-tech industry. This is because the app runs on Microsoft Dynamics 365 and can be personalized according to the specific needs of each farm. This makes AgriERP very flexible as it can be used on any scale and serves startups, small farms, and large farms.
- It is available on mobile devices which makes it accessible
- It allows farmers remote management
- It is easy to use and has excellent customer service
- It allows financial planning and provides in-depth analysis that helps boost productivity and profitability
- It works for all farm sizes
- It provides online and in-person training
- The only language it functions in is English so global use may be restricted
AnimalCare is a cattle record-keeping software that allows farmers to optimize cattle farm management.
AnimalCare caters to all sizes of cattle farms as well as ranchers and commercial cattle owners. The app stores data from the animal’s birth to its sale and is available on mobile devices. Data ranges from cattle birth, weight, gender, current age, breed, progeny, pedigree, as well as genetic, health, and pregnancy evaluations.
- It is available on mobile devices which makes it more accessible and offers farmers remote control of cattle
- It has an offline mode which allows it to function without Wi-Fi. This allows continuous access to cattle records and means that it can be used in any location
- Offline support enables farmers to collect and sync cattle record data when there is internet access
- It provides all cattle related information in a centralized manner on online dashboards so that record-keeping on paper is not needed in the managerial process
- Comprehensive software
- It is available in countries outside of the US as well
- It can be a little slow in working after updates on Apple and Android devices
CattleMax is one of the best cattle record-keeping software on the market. It allows farmers and commercial cattle producers to keep track of production, performance, and marketing records available on the farm which leads to effective herd management.
The app provides management screenshots. These give farmers instant notifications about cattle activity, populations, and calving.
The app also provides farmers with cattle movement history, calving history, and breeding status. The calving history in particular gives farmers access to all individual cows, their birth, weaning, and sales.
- Comprehensive and easy to use
- Available on all mobile devices which increase accessibility and allows farmers to oversee farm management from multiple locations
- It allows for effective collaboration as multiple user accounts can be added
- It is very organized as all records are kept in one location and can be viewed from any device
- It has a one-month free trial
- The app requires a stable internet connection to function
- The subscription cost may be considered expensive compared to other apps (14 USD per month)
Ranch Manager is the first cattle record-keeping software that does not require any investment. This is because the app is crowd-funded.
Ranch Manager is a complete livestock management system that helps farmers keep track of cattle breeding plans, pedigree history, feeding plans, cattle movement, and inbreed detection.
The app is equipped with accounting software that manages farm expenses and provides an in-depth analysis of profits and losses.
Ranch Manager boosts efficiency and organization by its in-built calendar feature that allows farmers to keep track of important farm events.
- Time and cost-effective because if accurate and complete online record keeping
- Available on mobile devices
- It can be used offline by syncing the app to a desktop device
- It can be customized according to individual farm needs
- There may be syncing issues between mobile and desktop devices
- Customer service is difficult to access but is resolves any issue efficiently when used
- Extra costs can be incurred when syncing it with multiple devices
Chetu is a custom livestock record keeping app that caters to multiple animals like cattle, poultry, horses, goats, and sheep.
Its livestock software specialists have created platforms specific to the need of the type of farm and the type of livestock animal the app is being used for. This means that Chetu is well equipped to deal with individual needs.
The app offers livestock record-keeping that includes tacking animal movement, breeding history, health, and feeding plans. Chetu also has a weather tracking system that warns farmers of when herds need to take shelter.
- Available on mobile devices
- Provides a feeding plan that includes ration, usage, and nutritional value if different types of feed
- It is available in multiple languages (English, German, Spanish, and French)
- Heavily focuses on details and results, which boosts profitability and productivity
- User friendly and easy to navigate
- Caters to individual farm needs because of its high customizability
- Some users may find the support agreement terms to be too inflexible/harsh
- There is a time difference when working with other countries
NAVFARM manages both crop farming and livestock farming.
It controls livestock record keeping, food processing, distribution, and farm production. Along with this NAVFARM also provides timely reports on all farm operations.
- User friendly and comprehensive
- Time and cost-effective as it automatically generates reports
- Has a feature that allows you to make and receive payments as well as keep a record of them
- The app needs to be updated manually
- The software may be prone to virus infection which can result in data loss
Muuu is a collaborative, comprehensive cattle record keeping software that gives farmers complete control over their farm management.
Muuu allows farmers, their partners, and clients to share information and decisions in real-time. The app speeds up operations and is also efficient and cost-effective.
The app provides farmers with cattle identification and traceability which boosts consumer transparency and allows farmers to compete in international markets.
Muuu also offers a built-in data analytics function that gives farmers access to real-time information with any threat factors identified so that decisions can be made instantly and with decreased risk.
- Muuu can be used on any device, including mobile devices
- It requires the Cloud to function, which makes it easy to install
- Muuu also offers a free trial
- Muuu can be operated by multiple users at once so that cattle information can be shared with increased efficiency.
- The app requires a stable Wi-Fi connection to function
Livestocked is one of the best livestock management apps that prioritize maximizing profit.
Livestocked provides farmers with individual animal records as well reports on total batch numbers, health, feed rations, and heat/threat detection.
The app provides in-depth data analysis. Its analytical function is one of the strongest in the market. This increases risk mitigation and allows farmers to make quick decisions, boosting farm productivity and profitability.
- It can be used on mobile devices
- Allows data to be synced on multiple devices
- It offers a free trial
- The settings feature may be a bit inconvenient as sometimes changing the setting for one animal can lead to a change in all the animals
- Initiating the system can be complex and time-consuming
CattlePro is a cattle record-keeping software that incorporates technology to allow the farmer to keep up with the daily demands of cattle farming.
The app is customizable to individual farm needs. It also has the special feature of color-coded pedigree trees to keep track of purebred cattle, inbred cattle and alert the farmer of any genetic defects in the cattle.
CattlePro has special analytical features that enable farmers to make data-driven decisions. This leads to higher quality farm performance.
The app also stores all information in a centralized location so that it is easy to access.
- Easy installation
- It can be used from any device and multiple locations
- CattlePro is available in many languages
- It may be considered expensive as it is 195 USD per month
My Cattle Manager
My Cattle Manager is a comprehensive and easy-to-use cattle management app for farmers to oversee all farm operations.
The app records all farm cattle events and includes financial reports, milk production, cattle health, and movement.
My Cattle Manager records and tracks individual and herd cattle events. These range from vaccinations, inseminations, Medicare, and cattle weighing.
All information is provided as reports with complete events and statistics included.
- The app is available on mobile devices
- It can be synced to multiple devices and locations so that information can be shared between users allowing for easy communication
- Reports can be exported to Excel or PDF
- The app may crash on android devices at times
- The app may be slow at times with loading errors and/or activation issues
- Updates may be time-consuming and can shut down during the process without completion
FarmWizard is cattle record-keeping software that focuses on maximizing profits specifically on dairy farms. The main ways it does this is through improving dairy herd fertility, conserving time and being cost effective.
FarmWizard provides all data regarding the cattle on the farm in a centralized location on its dashboard. The provided data is used to generate automatic weekly reports that enable farmers to oversee all farm operations.
The app also has a feedstock feature that keeps track of cattle feed and reduces wastage.
- It can be mobile automated
- Gives notifications for any major events
- The app’s support team provides complete training and technology to the users
My Poultry Manager
My Poultry Manager is an animal and livestock record-keeping software that focuses on increasing efficiency and productivity at poultry farms.
The app allows farmers to keep a track of poultry feed, health, vaccinations, egg production, birth and death. The program also offers financial reports on the farm’s management.
- The app ensures privacy and security of data by creating individual accounts for users. These accounts can be protected by passcodes
- The app is free and user friendly
- My Poultry Manager is highly customizable and can cater to individual farm needs
- The app notifications may be faulty at times and may miss some important events
- The app can crash during updates which may lead to data loss
Farm Manager and Analyzer
Farm Manager and Analyzer is animal and livestock record-keeping software that allows you to monitor each farm animal’s activity through imprinted microchips.
The app provides in-depth financial analysis by breaking down each month’s income and expenditure. Farm Manager and Analyzer also has the feature of adding new/updated information to each animal on its dashboard.
- Farm Manager and Analyzer provides users with a free trial version
- The app can be used on mobile devices which allows farmers remote control over farm operations
- The app does not offer any workshops to users where they can learn how to effectively use it
- The app is only accessible on Apple and Android devices
Livestock Manager is a livestock record-keeping app that helps farmers monitor individual and herd animals efficiently.
Livestock Manager allows multiple IDs to exist at the same time so that farmers can oversee different aspects of management, like animal health, movement, weight, births, deaths and even financial reports.
The app’s financial feature allows farmers to compare the total revenue earned from the farm to the total farm running costs.
- Available on mobile devices
- Allows farmers to oversee multiple farm operations through one app
- Provides in-depth financial reports that help farmers increase profitability
- The app can take some time to download and save any images on its dashboard
- The app is not free and requires a monthly fee
- The app is free and is one of the best apps for collecting data related to farm animals
- The app is easy to use and farmers do not need technical expertise to navigate it
- The app is only available in English and does not operate in a lot of countries
Whether you run a livestock farm or a cattle farm, livestock record-keeping software is an essential tool in maximizing your productivity and profitability.
The type of software you use depends on the type of animals you have on your farm as well as your location, farm size, and available resources. Luckily with the huge variety available in the market, you are sure to find an app that matches your individual needs.